TAB, the Choice Based Art Room


I have made the journey toward TAB over the course of about 3 years, moving from free choice time once in awhile, to students designing their own final project, to students trying required techniques before designing their own projects on monday's and friday's, to now. Currently I am introducing techniques, and topics that are optional to students. Tuesday-Thursday they have station time where they can explore, create, try the techniques and topics if they choose, or make up their own.  They are required to try 4 out of the 6 stations that I introduce, but if I show them how to paint trees, and they would rather try geometric shapes, they do not have to try the trees.  Monday's and Friday's instead of exploring, and trying they plan out a project, research it, decide their focus for elements and principles, choose their media, ect, and then go through the process off creating. Some students create projects in 3-5 days and start another. Some students create projects that take 10 plus days, and they work on it the entire quarter. We stop periodically to gain feedback from peers and reflect of the process. I have seen student motivation increase SIGNIFICANTLY, and creativity has flourished. This teaching style fits my philosophy. I am meant to teach this way, and I am so glad I found it early in my career, as teaching this way is more rewarding than I could have ever imagined!

This AOE graphic does a great job showing and labeling different levels of choice within the classroom



















Students collaborating building a video game with scratch
A 3 student project that was worked on Monday's and Friday's



A student's researched project ("Wow" project)
A group project with 2 students (another "Wow" project)
Students taking a break to get peer feedback, and reflect on their work

Comments