Making Creativity for Everyone...

Lately in my art classes I have been striving to let my students know that art, the act of creating, and creativity itself is for everyone.  I let them know that our society tells them that some people are creative, and some are not, but that is a myth.  Some people may have honed in on their creativity, and others haven't, but we all have the ability to be creative.
I am also working to help my students become friends with failure.  I encourage them that in real life, we rarely get things right the first time.  Life lets us practice, and school should too.  I do not grade there first attempt at anything as final.  They can have redo's, or not turn in their first attempt at all. For the students WOW projects (similar to genius hour in art class) I actually encourage them to try something they think is so hard, they might fail.  I have a place on the rubric that rewards trying something new, inspiring, challenging, even so profound it seems crazy.  I give them examples of projects so difficult, so crazy that students have tried, failed, and received a very good score on the project.  It takes a lot of convincing at first, because they are so programmed to take the safe road, after all, when have they turned in a project that is a pile of rubble, and received a good grade? How can we encourage innovation, creativity, and moving forward, when our students must play it safe to get an A?
Convincing Students who have been programmed that there is always one right answer, and that answer should be near perfect and refined, that they should experiment, push the envelope, and try things no one else has thought of is a tough road. But, once your students get to that point, it's amazing to see them liberated, and free from the fear of failure.  It is amazing to see what they come up with when they once again believe in their ideas, and the creativity they had when they were young. Now, my students are learning about themselves, and what they are interested in.  They are intrinsically motivated, and will be life long learners, not dependent upon an outside force to command them to learn.  They will explore, research, plan, create, and experiment on their own, becoming the innovators of the future.

When I saw this video, I loved it. I need to show this to my students, who often think their ideas are nothing more than ordinary, but to others they may seem extraordinary!  I see this happen most every day.  "Just put it out there, and let the world decide"


Comments