National Standards, Learning Goals, and Marzano Scales

For our new teacher evaluation in Minnesota, Districts were given the opportunity to come up with their own plan to track and record teacher growth. Part of that Teacher evaluation plan for my school involves the Marzano framework. Around this same time our art curriculum was up for review, and the new national standards came out! WOW, that's a lot of change. Our art department has been wading through everything, trying to figure out how this all looks for us, and how it can best serve our students. We have been lucky to have Jeremy Holien from the Perpich center for the Arts working with us through this process: http://www.mcae.k12.mn.us/  Jeremy is very knowledgable, and has a higher level view, having worked with many districts throughout the state.

First of all we have been re-writing the national standards as Learning Goals or "I can" statements for students.  This has been mind opening for me, and has brought the standards as a central part of my teaching.  Telling the students what the big goals are has made expectations, and reasons for doing different things such as reflection, critique, ect...much more clear for students. They can better see the connection between what they are doing, and how that will improve their life skills and knowledge. This has also increased motivation, and changed the way that I assess students.  I LOVE LEARNING GOALS! Here is a link to some of the learning goal work I have been doing with the national standards: 5th grade NS Learning Goals

Writing learning goals has solidified my philosophy about teaching with LOTS of choice. I love that the standards focus on the big goals, creativity, collaboration, idea generation, brainstorming, ect...love it! The standards keep me focused on the important things, but give my students and I so much freedom to be the kind of artists we are and want to be.

I have always believed in standards based grading, and love that Marzano and the scales that are used push us in that direction. We are making a scale for each learning goal that we as teachers create. Students can then track their process on that learning goal, reflect on where they are at, make adjustments, do more practice, and try things again. Here is an example of a Marzano scale that I have been working on: Sample Marzano Scale for 5th National Standards.  Also, having students track their own progress and learning makes it more natural to allow and encourage redos (which I already love)...how many people get everything right the first try!?

I am excited about the possibilities, and look forward to having some time this summer to continue to sort this all out, and be ready to utilize these things next fall.
It's always a process...keep moving forward!



Comments