Choice, Individualized Learning, and the Flipped Classroom

I am feeling excited! Everything is seeming to fall into place. Just a few years ago, I had no technology in my classroom, not even a TV or overhead projector, let alone a computer. I was able to express my excitement for technology to our technology integrationists, which lead me to one iPad. Long story short, from using that one ipad and showing what we could do in art with an ipad, I now have a whole class set!
    Our school is using moodle as an online classroom, and has upgraded our WiFi recently (though it still can be a problem occasionally). Not all of my students have access to internet outside of school, so my students mostly access moodle in my class, and during their enrichment / remediation time during the school day.
    I have been running a choice based classroom now for a few years, with one of my main goals being, letting students make choices about their art, and having them operate like real artists, learning studio habits of mind. Recently Education has started talking about, "Individualized learning". I thought, "I'm already doing that!" (how exciting to feel like you're doing something right.)
    Though I was excited, my journey toward being the best teacher I can be is never over. I immediately started to wonder how I could make this choice thing even more individualized, and ensure that my students are really getting the skills they need. I have been really inspired by some of the other choice teachers that I have met, and recently have been looking at Ian Sands Apex site: http://artofapexportal.weebly.com/ This has inspired me to use moodle in a different way. I will be creating online resources or places for my students to go online. There will be instructions, videos, work by other artists, suggestions, ect. This site will have what my classroom used to have physically, but we will not be limited by space or materials. This will be more accessible, and having lectures, demonstrations, how to artists statements, and art critiques, students will not miss out on as much if they are absent, as
the content can be viewed later.
    Shifting the information that is posted on the walls of my classroom, and things that I verbally teach each day, and placing it online opens so many doors for my students, because it allows me to teach different things at different levels to different students who need it, all at the same time! Talk about individualized learning! We live in an exciting time...now I have a lot of work to do before school starts!

Comments