Motivation

Something is on my mind a lot, because I can't seem to find an answer that I am satisfied with. When it comes to motivation, do students need skills first, and then they get to start on the more creative endeavors, or do they need to be creative first, find problems they want to solve, and then they will go seeking the skills they need? I have been reading about project based learning, personalized learning, student centered learning, and choice based. All of these things are applicable both in and out of the art classroom, but they mean very different things to different people.

I have read many articles that state the best way to motivate students is to let them come up with problems they would like to solve first, and then help them find the information or skills they need to solve them. To me this seems like a natural way to learn. This is how we learn outside of school: "I want to wood burn" I look up how to wood burn, meet with artists who know how to wood burn, and practice wood burning. When students learn this way, there is almost no need to help motivate them; they are already there. I practically have to get out of their way. I am very convinced that this is the way to go.

Next I read that students who lack confidence will not like this approach at all, and it may cause them to not want to work. This article said that in order for students to have motivation, they need some confidence, and in order to have confidence, someone needs to first teach them skills. After the skills are learned, now the students can solve problems and be creative with their work. I can see why someone would think this, but I can't help but think, where does that lack of confidence come from? Fear of failure? And if they have a fear of failure, who created that fear? The school system itself? Them fearing the wrong answer, and getting a zero? Younger children do not have these fears, and so do they come on naturally with age, or are we ourselves creating them?

If I believe that the best way to motivate students is to help them solve problems they care about, but I know that school has placed a fear in them that makes them afraid to try things, how do I scaffold them up to being able to function at the level of an artist, like an artist would be outside of the classroom?

Right now I am working on a high school curriculum that does just that. I will keep you posted as to my progress, and let you know what works, what doesn't, ect...this should be fun!

How about you...how do you see or deal with the issue of motivation in your class?

Comments

  1. You're providing a concrete example of the constant war of confusion in schools between multiple educational philosophies/approaches. In this case, it is specifically the war between progressivism and a traditionalism (whether perennialism or essentialism). Depending in one's point of view in terms of better/worse, all of the motivational aspects of traditional schooling in terms of the structures we create to move students forward are extrinsic in nature. That is, they're based on the old carrot and stick. This was due largely to the impact of Thorndike's and Skinner's psychology work as related to reinforcement and learning in the mid-20th century. This is -- or at least can be-- in opposition to the work of relating learning to interests of the child or problems they're interested in which is on the other side of the paradigm. Thus if you're practices for motivation are also located on the progressive side of things (i.e. intrinsic motivation) they will always be fighting against those existing structures in school which are largely extrinsic in nature.

    Without getting bogged down in who's right and who's wrong, I recommend picking up Dan Pink's two recent books on motivation which are quick reads and give ideas about how motivational methods and outcomes might affect kids once they leave school and enter the work world. They might provide the perspective you're missing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched some of Dan Pin's videos. I should get a copy of that book also. This war in education...should someone win? Where would the victor be decided? The state level, the local level? Individual Teachers? Will the war ever end? How is it affecting students? Can you tell I have no answers right now? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment