Flipping

I have been working on running a modified flip in my classroom for awhile. I love the idea of having demos I have done recorded so that students can watch them if and when they need them. Can you imagine having an unlimited number of you in the room!?

I will not require my students to watch demos as homework, but rather utilize having them so that students can work at their own pace, and make choices about what they will learn. I have ipads in my room, and soon students will be brining their own devices to class with them. I will have some "Whole Class" demos, and other times, when they will select a demo from our online classroom.

That brings me to access. I am using moodle right now as an online classroom, because that is what my school uses. It takes so many clicks to get to the video through moodle. Using ipads complicates things even more, because you cannot log into google (which you have to do to get to moodle) without going in and clearing the history. It has been taking my students about 10 mins to log in and get their assignment, which means...less time making art. The ipads are great for digital portfolios though, which is why I want to keep them. The built in camera, and easy upload to any platform, and aps for updating blogs is great for portfolios.

Using technology to create digital portfolios
is much smoother, and isn't as time intensive, and it has educational value with selecting organizing, and reflecting on their work.
Moodle on the other hand is just a vehicle I am using to get students to content. Is there something that would be less clunky?

Here is what I am considering: (since I am required to use moodle as my online classroom)

1. Making QR codes for each video, so students can scan, and quickly get the video
2. Creating a QR code to quickly get to moodle (reducing the number of clicks)
3. Having a few ipads for portfolio upload (since they are SO EASY for that) and having other devices better for logging into moodle

What about you? How have you been able to successfully bring video demos to your students?

Comments

  1. QR codes lessen the cognitive demand to be able to increase the context. I'd make w QR code for your classroom & for each demo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog by searching about the studio habits of mind and TAB. I teach elementary art at an American School in Brazil, so the internet is my best resource while I research for transition to a complete TAB studio. Loved your work, congratulations! Can you help me with anything? I would love to see your I can statements for the Habits and look at your class moodle if possible! Or any other tips that would get me going. My email is swillson@ebdf.br ----
    Thanks so much,
    Stephen Willson
    American School of Brasilia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aline! I think you are right on, I don't want them to have to think too much just to get to the information!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephen,
    so your email is : swillson@edbf.brasilia?
    I can send you a few things...my moodle course is pretty locked down here at school, so that is hard to share, but I have things that may be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi my email is swillson@eabdf.br
    Anything you are willing to share would be great! Thank you thank you!
    I saw the google sheets that were in your smore poster for curriculum planning. Those would be awesome to see because I am doing the same thing now and would love to have something to compare to.
    Thanks so much, lots of great work on this site, congratulations.
    Stephen Willson

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can set up google classrooms for free. Your district needs to set up the google.edu accounts. Our district is just getting into it and I have been through training to get Google Ed Level 1 certification. I just need to sit and take the test.

    Setting up the classrooms is not too difficult, once each student gets their own account through the district. You just create the individual classroom and the students enter a code that you have given them to join your classroom. You can post videos, links, worksheets, quizzes... just about anything you could imagine. The possibilities really are endless as google keeps updating based on teacher feedback. I am excited about where our district is headed with this and can't wait to dive right in - right now I'm just trying to get through my art show :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joanna, thanks for the information (I will check into that)!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment