Digital Portfolios and Choice

I LOVE Digital Portfolios. Sometimes when I am in the trenches, working hard I can't always get a good gauge on the growth that is happening around me all of the time. Yes, when I am intentionally doing a formative assessment I get an idea, but nothing speaks to student growth and ideas like a digital portfolio. It does however need to be one that is very interactive so that students are not hindered when trying to get their thoughts out. If the platform is not intuitive, it feels more like storing your things in a file cabinet, and how exciting is that!? My students upload audio, photo, text. We do not have video, but we do create videos, house them on youtube, and put links to them in our portfolios when necessary. We use Evernote (the free version). My students keep one portfolio over the years, with a different notebook within evernote each year. Students share their notebook with me, so every time they update their portfolio, I have access. Not only does this make formative assessment and feedback super smooth, but we can see the students growth so easily. I just opened a students portfolio, after not looking at it for a week, and I was AMAZED! So much reflection, so much growth, so many great experiments and skill development going on. What did I do before electronic portfolios!? They allow me to give my students much more freedom, and much more individualized assignments and learning plans. Here is a screen shot of a student portfolio:

Comments