Empty Bowls for the Food Shelf

Empty Bowls has always been one of my favorite art fundraisers.  I got the idea from my College Professor Ann Scott Pluimer at Winona State University. In College we sold the bowls we had made at a local coffee shop. I loved the community feel that the coffee shop brought to the sale.
Here is a link to the empty bowls website: http://www.emptybowls.net/

In the past I had required all of my students to make bowls, and that worked, though I didn't always get the quality I was looking for. (Students would sometimes choose their least favorite bowl to donate.) This year I decided to do it differently. My Superintendent came from the Northfield area, and he had mentioned that he had seen the bowls made at a family type night, where students and guests were invited into the school to make bowls.

I loved the idea that everyone participating was someone who was excited about it, and I loved that it gave families a different opportunity to be in the school with students. The bowls turned out better than ever. We sell them at our local coffee shop, and we keep them for sale for a week, rather than a one time event for a few hours.

Here are some photos of the bowls students and their families made:



Comments