Drawing, The Basics

I have been teaching drawing for some time, and drawing was one of my focuses in college, but I am still learning, and often find new, exciting things to share with my students who are drawing. One of those things is probably something you all know about, but it's new to me, so I am going to share.
I was watching students new to drawing struggle with the concept of sketching. They struggled with straight lines, and circles without a compass. As I watched them I thought about how they were gripping the pencil, how they moved their hand, ect. I then drew myself and thought about how I drew...what was different. I could tell that I was moving my arm more, but I wanted to present it to them in a more scientific and specific way. I started researching, and found a great video by: designsketching, you can see the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlToLklthes

This made so much sense, why had no one explained it this way before!...Or maybe they did, but I was a teenager, and forgot ;)

My students were very receptive, and were surprised at how different their marks were when they drew from their shoulder.  I still hear comments when they draw a circle freehand, or a straight line, "Mrs. Wiste, I drew from my shoulder!"




How about you, do you have simple but effective tips that you share with your students?

Comments

  1. Added this video for my drawing mini lessons thank you. This reminds me again of always having to keep our thinking transparent!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment