Following a Beloved Teacher

It has been awhile since I posted. This has been a rough start to the year. don't get me wrong, it will all be ok in the end, but I was and am treading water; though I can see the horizon now.

I took over for a teacher that had been the art teacher for 30 plus years. This teacher was beloved, and taught students some great things. He was not a rule follower, and things were run like a college studio (open door). Let's say that following in his footsteps has not been an easy task.

I will spare you the details, but after cleaning out 4 dumpsters worth of things that had been collected over 30 years, my summer had come to an end; the room was still a mess. I scrambled to organize the space, and piece my curriculum together.  As students came through for the open house, I was met with people poking their heads in, "she did, she painted the room, "scowling as they would keep walking. (this happened all night). My Senior art students complained that I had assignments for them (learning goals related to art of their choice), and questioned what day this week we would be grilling out. This is going to be a tough year!

But, I don't just want to get on here to complain; I want to offer solutions. It is easy to follow a teacher that no one liked, but what if you are following a teacher that they loved? What then?

Keep your cool, or fake that you are keeping your cool
As students questioned my every assignment, every suggestion, every learning goal, I had to convince them that I had their best interest in mind. This was tough considering the attitude that high school students can give you when you're not yet a trusted part of their inner circle. You have to appear calm, cool, collected, and enthusiastic in the midst of panic, terror, and indecision. Amidst every rude comment about how "you are not him" "he never made us do that", ect...you have to brush it off, even if you are dying inside. (I know I'm being dramatic, but they can be very harsh). Maintain your passion and enthusiasm for your subject, and your curriculum at all times. This enthusiasm will win over students that are on the fence, and they are likely to convince a few to hop the fence with them.

Stick to your plan
Depending on your situation, they may be trying to break you, see how far they can push you. Mine wanted to see if they could pressure me to let them grill out a few times a week, drop learning goals, and just let them work on whatever they wanted; like homework. I could not let that happen, I would loose all credibility. That meant a few battles of the wills, but others noticed that I meant business, so I will avoid battles in the future; they remember what happened when the last student tried to use art as a study hall, or snapchat their entire class period.

Understand that they may be hurting
Their favorite teacher has left them. They may be sad, and taking it out on you. It's not right, it's not your fault, but knowing that this could be the underlying cause of their anger can help you to reach them and build your own relationships with students. Find every opportunity to connect with them, while still enforcing your expectations. Sometimes it will be hard to find things to talk about, so find a balance between letting them be, and sitting down next to them(even if they seem like they don't want you there) So you can chat about what is important to them.

In the end your desire to get to know them, (even when they know they are mistreating you), your passion for your subject, your crazy enthusiasm despite all odds, and the way that you hold them to high standards, (because you know they can do it) will win them over. The first few weeks will feel brutal, so make sure you take care of you. Get rest, and make sure you recharge. Find a way to vent, reflect, and talk about solutions, whether that be a mentor, administration, or perhaps a blog. I can see the horizon, students are starting to come around, and my crazy overzealous enthusiasm will win a few more tomorrow!

How about you...do you have any tips for surviving when you are replacing a beloved teacher?


Comments