Art Finals

I am teaching mainly high school art courses now, and one thing that goes along with that is giving a final. I decided that a final in the traditional sense (multiple choice test) did not make sense in my studio courses. I had to brainstorm and find a way to have a true final that brought all or most of my students learning from the semester together. My principal asked me what a final would look like in a college art course, and suggested that I model mine after that.

I decided that a final critique was the way to go. It hits many of the national standards. Here are the main national standards that the final hits (though it really works in many more, I chose the "power" standards for the final):
1. VA:Cr2.2.IIa ACCOMPLISHED Demonstrate awareness of ethical implications of making and distributing creative work...This standard fits, because I ask students to include how their work could be interpreted, and how their work could be misinterpreted by viewers.
2. VA:Pr5.1.IIa HS ACCOMPLISHED Evaluate, select, and apply methods or processes appropriate to display artwork in a specific place...As part of the final, students are asked to select work based on discussions about our festival of the arts. Students present, and turn in that work as a part of their final.
3. VA: Pr4.1.lla ACCOMPLISHED Analyze, select, and critique personal artwork for a collection of portfolio presentation...Students have kept portfolios all semester, but are now asked to select their best work to present to the class, and to hang at the Festival of the Arts.
4. VA:Pr5.1.IIa HS ACCOMPLISHED Evaluate, select, and apply methods or processes appropriate to display artwork in a specific place...Again, selecting work for the critique/presentation, and for the Festival of the Arts.
5. VA:Cr2.1.IIa HS ACCOMPLISHED Through experimentation, practice, and persistence, demonstrate acquisition of skills and knowledge in a chosen art form...This applies because this is a choice based studio class, so students are working in media and subject matter of their choice, and will demonstrate what they learned from beginning to end.


Here is a copy of my first draft of my final rubric:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WO5IVnOm14u4KvRPWvNtyXmBjjtL8jPF2guod1ezRZQ/edit?usp=sharing
I will be using this in art 2 and Art 3 courses. Students will be presenting the final week of class. After they have presented, they will turn in work that has been prepared for the art show, along with a QR code that is linked to a video or audio recording of their artist statement for their work.

How about you; what do you do for a high school art final?

Comments