Community Collaborative Projects

One of the ideas or habits of mind that I want to instill in my students is the idea that art can make change, art can help people, art can make people think, art can bring people together.

One of the ways that I do this is through the community collaborative project. The basic idea is that students must be in groups of 3-6 people, they have to research, create a plan, execute the piece, install, and present the piece in their portfolio. Part of the requirements are that they also need document their process along the way, and not just the finished product.

I show students a variety of projects that other artists have done in their communities that would fit this idea. I try to not show them too many, so they can still think of some on their own. If students choose to mimic a project that I have shown, I ask that they change it in some way to make the idea their own.

I set the due date at about 3 1/2 to 4 weeks. Students are allowed to meet with me and request an extension if their project is more complex, but they have to prove need for the extension.

This project is aligned to the National Art Standards: Cr 2.2.lla

Cr 2.3.lla and I have written the learning goal: "I can create art that makes my community better. I can also explain why I need to be aware of conclusions people could make."

As students start planning, they have to consider where their community piece is going, they have to plan a piece that will promote unity and not division, and they have to consider how people might respond or react. After students create the piece they also reflect on the work, and how the project was received by the community.

Tape Murals

Some of my students have worked with tape murals (Sands, Ian, The Art of Education).





Rock Project

Some students started their own rock project; they are painting rocks, and inviting others to paint rocks with inspiring messages, and hiding them for people to find. They have a facebook page, so people can share what they have found.























Other Projects Students are Starting

Students working on a post it note mural (Sands, Ian), getting feedback about what adjustments they need to make



These students are creating their own version of a unity project that can be hung on the wall at school. Students will interact with it by weaving their own piece of yarn on over the state of Minnesota.















How about you? Do your students do community projects? How do you approach it?

Resources

Comments