My Journey Toward Meaningful Assessment

I have been on a journey for more meaningful assessment for quite some time. While I will admit that I am not at any final conclusion, nor will I be anytime soon, I am closer to a model that I am happy with. A grading system that I would be happy with is a system that encourages learning, and lets students know how they are doing, a system that is not punitive but also does not reward for things unrelated to the learning. I want a system where the goals for the course, what we learn, and the assessments all lineup and make sense. Working within a system that uses a grading system that has been around for over one hundred years, makes causing change difficult. I have met people afraid of change, but I have also hit some obstacles along the way that have caused me to change my thinking.

Right now I am at the point where I am moving to standards-based grading. My elementary school is standards-based, and a handful of middle school teachers are using standards-based grading, and I am the first at my high school to pilot standards-based grading. I have gone to Rick Wormelli sessions on SBG, have been reading about SBG, and talking with other colleagues around the state about SBG. I am at the point now where I am just going to go for it,  reflect, get feedback, and adjust as I go.

I am using Skyward. In Skyward the set up is a subject (which is just a title), a skill (which is a summative assessment of the learning goal), and events (which are formative assessments working on the learning goal). An example would be, Subject: Reflect, Skill: I can consider skills and techniques learned in class, examine my work, reflect and plan revisions to my work.  Event: Reflection Try #1.  Events are formative, and so aren't a final grade, but do inform parents and students how they are currently doing on any particular goal. Eventually, after formative events, there will be a skill score entered, and that is summative (though I do give the option of re-trying the skill also). So far I am happy with this form of scoring, because it does not seem punitive, and it is very clear what the score is for. I am using a 4 point scale for each skill.

This is a shot from my grade book. Green is the Subject, Connect, with two skills (learning goals) Purple is the Subject, reflect, with one skill, and one event (formative assessment) 
This is what a student sees in skyward. Each color is a different subject, and under that subject is one or more skills, and events (formative assessment events) if there are any.



In the end, unfortunately, the skill scores do still need to be averaged into a letter grade since we are still living in that system of grading. I will attach the scale I am going to use at the end of the semester when that time comes. I have shared this scale with students for transparency, but during the class, I like to focus on how students are doing, as they work to learn each skill. I like that we are not talking about points as much. Students instead ask, "can I have a re-try with reflection, I think I get it now".



Being that I am the first teacher doing this in our high school, I will need to be very clear with students and parents, so I am working to be sure that happens, though as with anything new, I won't be surprised if there are a few misunderstandings or hiccups in the process.

How about you? I would love to connect with other art teachers, especially TAB teachers who are using or working towards standards-based grading. Do you have any ideas, insight, or suggestions for me?

Comments

  1. I use TAB for my upper studio classes and I give them the criteria and suggestion in which direction they go forth with. But SBG you have to get rid of points all together creating the E,M,PM, DM. Have them create a visual journals with written works, documentation and allows for formative assessment at this point. I also have them create a digital portfolio(google slides from 4th grade and up to see the collection and development of the years) with a collection of and any of their work from a summative process with some rubrics. Students need to create artist statements, study artist(s) in the style they want to explore completely. In the portfolio they also answer various questions I will put out, and they self evaluate and receive peer feedback as well as instructor feedback in the slides.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment