How I Start My Middle School TAB Classes Day 1...

Day One


I started classes by telling students my story so that I could start making connections with them. I showed them photos of things I enjoy doing and I try to show a great variety of interests (It helps start conversations later on in the quarter). Here is an example of what I showed  them: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/12qdStcPXWmSkdDWvPRxmcbhLYbdk9PIfjQewZuo-o4c/edit?usp=sharing


Art Challenge

The next thing I did was to issue a group challenge that asked students to work together to create something that met the constraints or requirements that I gave them, with limited time and materials. The materials vary depending on what I have available that is free or nearly free. 
The time is typically 20 mins to build, and 5-10 mins to Judge. 
The challenge I issued this quarter was, "Create a 3D piece of art that has movement and negative space". I defined movement and negative space, got students their bin of supplies, and they got to work. I typically use groups of 4.  
At the end of the challenge, I asked students to become the judges of the challenge. I gave them each a post-it, and talked with them about having judging criteria; they couldn't just pick their favorite or the cutest piece, but rather they had to choose one that met the criteria, "Movement and negative space".  Students couldn't vote for their own. They moved around the room assessing the projects, and they put their post-it note near the project they were voting for. 






This Was the End of Day One


Comments