How I Start My Middle School TAB Classes Day 3...

Day 3

  • Students get their art journals (these are made in my school print shop). You can see my art journal pages here.

  • We go over the fun stuff like the syllabus and how students will be graded (syllabus is one of the pages in the art journal linked above).

  • I take students on a tour of the art room (there are much cooler ways to do this that people have come up with like scavenger hunts. I keep it quick because of how short my classes are, and because I haven't had time to label the cabinets they can't use. 

  • I Demonstrate Drawing Experiments that we call, "What if I...?" Students are challenged to try as many things as they can with the different drawing materials provided; "What if I put oil pastel on top of marker, and then scratch some off?" "What if I drip water on top of marker?" etc...

  • Students then spend their studio time experimenting and trying "What if I's" 

  • At this point, I start an exit reflection that we do after studio time (last 2-3 mins). It is a Social Emotional Learning activity that I really like. It is called, "Appreciation, Apology, Aha!" I have a stuffed doughnut that is the "Doughnut of Dialogue" whoever has the Doughnut has the floor to speak. Students share an appreciation, an apology or an Aha.  I have to make it clear that it's a reflection about the class period and redirect at first until they get the idea, otherwise, they can get sidetracked (which is fine if it's productive). I love this activity because middle school is so social, and some of them really want time to speak, and things come out that happened I might now know about...it's pretty great. 


This was the end of Day 3...




Comments

  1. How long are your class periods? Love the "What if's!"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment