Thoughts On Teaching Art; Distance Style

 My first challenge for distance learning was teaching students at home who had limited materials. I wasn't able to send materials home at first due to budget and logistics, so I had to get creative. I after spending a lot of time talking with others and thinking it through I realized that teaching TAB I was already set up to do this. Here is what I did...


1. I started off with bootcamps or technique workshops where I showed students materials and how to use them. If they had the materials, they could try it out, and if not they could just answer some questions about the workshop. I used materials that I thought students would have at home (pencil shading, colored pencils, collage, watercolor, junk sculpture, etc.) You can see some of my workshop videos HERE on my Youtube page.



2. After walking students through multiple workshops, we spent some time on idea generation (where do artists get ideas? What materials do you have (scavenger hunt)? Time coming up with possible ideas, looking at art projects to give us ideas, etc.) HERE is one of my favorite videos for this...I also use THE NINE from Ian Sands



3. Next students started planning their own projects. You could do menus if students are having a hard time coming up with ideas (I did use menus or themes with some classes, but allowed them to go off of the menu if they wanted to). Students filled out a PLANNING SHEET, and then started their projects. They could choose from materials that they had at home. As they were working on their projects we did process check ins where they got feedback from me and their peers (both to help them, and for me to make sure they were actually making a project). 



4. At the end of each project, students write and artist statement and turn it in with their final projects. 


**Along the way we do other things, like look at artists, do critiques, find out about art careers, etc.


I'm sure others have great ideas about distance learning too...what cool things have you done to keep students learning during this time? 

Comments